Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Way That Dreams Come True


I spent the night weaving in and out of the roads surrounding Bleecker Street and thinking about the way dreams come true.

I'm not sure how it happened, or even if I was aiming in this direction my entire life, but as I walked anonymously through the waves of sound seeping out of restaurants and bars, I realized that I am living the life I've always aspired toward.

That's not to say that I've always wanted to live in New York City. In fact, I grew up in a tiny California beach town and swore I'd move to a smaller place right about when the pizza delivery man started taking our orders all the way to our house. New York City is a long way off from the country life I'd imagined or the future pirate career I'd envisioned, but somewhere along the way something in life lured me here and now it feels perfect.

Sure, we always want bigger apartments and smaller challenges, but New York City breathes something indescribable. I've stumbled into my the life of my dreams and hopefully within a year I will be able to say that I make my living making other people's dreams come true.

How? That's something I'm starting to figure out. But trust me, this dream will come true.