Friday, August 3, 2007

Mi Viaje

This is somewhat of a shift from the previous blogs but I'm in Spain for the weekend. I arrived on Wednesday night/Thursday morning and I'm leaving on Sunday.

So far I've seen all the Gaudi Architecture (including parc Guell), all of Passeig de Gracia (the equivalent of a huge Newbury Street in Boston), Parc Montjuic, the Castle at Montjuic (which is INCREDIBLE architecturally speaking), the Barcelona Botanic Gardens, Palau Nacional, and the Olympic Stadium. I found an amazing lookout over the city right before sunset too, and sat and listened to a man play flamenco guitar while the sun went down over all the buildings. It was one of the most incredible experiences of my life. I also spent a little while watching some people play soccer on a cement "field." I felt like a real local watching them slip everywhere and yelling at each other in Spanish.

On my trip I've noticed that 1. I'm one of the tallest girls in Spain. 2. Everyone here speaks quickly and many of the words I've learned are different than the words they use in Spain. 3. People are generally really nice here. 4. I love Barcelona and would like to live here for about a year.

I've got a day and a half left in Spain, and then it's back to Oxford until Friday. It's hard to believe that in seven days I'll be back in Amherst. My emotions are mixed. In a lot of ways I am excited to go back home, but this has also one of the best experiences in my life. I've learned a lot and feel so thankful to have had the experience. I'll certainly miss it overseas, but there's no reason why I can't go back.


And now for a music recommendation:

The Maccabees - "Toothpaste Kisses"

This is also a brilliant acoustic performance by the same artist.

0 comments: