Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A Quick Pause

I don't dare pause too long for risk of losing my forward momentum, but every now and then I step back from eating a cupcake with a friend or enjoying a beautiful brunch only to realize that I might be one of the luckiest people in the world.

I have by no means achieved everything I would like to achieve, but opportunities have flown in my direction in heavy doses and the people that surround me have not only been unwaveringly supportive of my pursuits, but they have helped me enjoy life to the fullest.

Just tonight, as I was dancing home with my iPod pumping my advanced copy of a chart topping artist and breathing in the view of the Brooklyn Bridge by my house I realized that I should keep better track of the little victories. Below is a short list of some of the most memorable moments while I was working during the past couple weeks.

THE 45 KING
This is a man whose work you know even if you aren't already aware of the fact that he's a legend in hip hop. If you know pop culture you've heard "The 900 Number," his track that inspired "Let Me Clear My Throat." I had the pleasure of talking to The 45 King to set up interviews through Tuff City Records, and he's chill.









LYKKE LI
Lykke Li, the Stockholm sensation whose airy hallway voice made its way to America Ting Ting's style, also gave me some of her time. You can see the in print story below, as well as view a couple of the songs you'll probably recognize.







DJ HAZE
Word on the street is that Foundation Magazine is the new Source Magazine, and Foundation has embraced me from the start. I recently interviewed DJ Haze (who has worked with Juice, Lil' Wayne, The Game, etc) and his feature shouldd hit the press soon. Feel free to rate or download his mixtape below.



JOEY VEGA
If you know what bombing New York City meant in the 80's and 90's you know Joey Vega. This crucial hip hop legend designed the latest cover for the new 900 Number remix album Tuff City Records is releasing, and he shared a lot of history about the hip hop scene in New York City, a culture he helped create.


Off the top of my head, those are the most memorable career moments since El dia de los muertos at the beginning of this month. It's probably a good representation of the career side of my life here in New York, and you can absolutely expect ascension in the next couple months.

***
Before we return to the quick buzz of our daily lives I would like to take a moment to bet my music prediction talents on an emerging artist.

Some people excel in just about everything they try and Trevor "Trouble" Andrew seems to fall in that category. He secured a Burton sponsor in the snowboarding and skate world at the age of 14, and now at 27 Virgin Records just signed him. He's been somewhat of an underground sensation since the release of his EP in 2007, but in the summer of 2009 he's going to release a full length album. Trevor Andrew's mashup krunk rock is different enough to be edgy, humid enough to be hot, and poppy enough to absolutely dominate the radio waves.

Check out "Chase Money" below:

0 comments: