Monday, June 29, 2009

Q&A To Self Discovery

Today's blog is a simple survey that's been sent to me dozens of times via email. Rather than respond with a grand spam message, I'm posting it here. Feel free to skip over it if the post seems uninteresting. I would understand. I like these sorts of surveys though because they seem to possess unwritten instructions that say, "Answer these questions and you'll be well on your way to self discovery.


1. What is your occupation?
I've recently decided that my primary occupation is to add letters to the end of my name. MA, PhD, DJ, CSCS, etc, etc. In actuality though, I am an assistant softball coach at Columbia University, a publicist at a record label, a writer at various magazines, and a graduate student.


2. What color are your socks right now?
I'm a bit of a free spirit taken to traipsing around barefoot.

3. What are you listening to right now?
Nina Simone's "See Line Woman." It's going to be a part of my first live DJ performance and mixtape, played directly in front of Feist's "Sea Lion Woman." As a side note, you can expect excellent lyrical streams from my upcoming compilations.

4. What was the last thing that you ate?
A melted Slurpee and left over chile rellenos with rice and beans. Hunger seems to have crept on me again though. Perhaps I'll have some Nutella on toast or a homemade sopapilla.

5. Can you drive a stick shift?
It depends on how far you'd like me to drive you before stalling.

6. Last person you spoke to on the phone?
My dad.

7. How old are you today?
23 today, 23 tomorrow.

8. What is your favorite sport to watch on TV?
I'm not necessarily one for watching sports but I enjoy the X games quite a lot.

9. What is your favorite drink?
It depends on my mood, but it's probably Quik chocolate milk, a suicide Slurpee (all flavors), or root beer. One of my goals for 2009 is to start brewing my own root beer from scratch.

10.Have you ever dyed your hair ?
That I have.

11. What is your favorite food?
Again, it depends on my mood. Anything spicy will do the trick (e.g. Mexican, Indian, etc). Cream cheese is one of my favorite ingredients (e.g. everything from bean dip to Oreo cake and cheesecake), and of course anything sweet is an absolute delight.

12. What is the last movie you watched?

An advanced screening of Public Enemies. You can read the review I wrote at hx.com

13. What is your favorite day of the year?
I wish I could say whatever day it happens to be, but let's face it, I'm already anticipating next Thanksgiving with vigor.

14. How do you vent anger?
Vent anger, what? I don't get angry or if I do it's almost always at myself (sometimes for getting angry). If anger lingers though, I usually turn it into laughter.

15. What was your favorite toy as a child?
I cherished mi peona and a stuffed raccoon, as well as a gaggle of figurines that included everything from zoo animals and foamy grow animals and a ninja turtle I found on the ground.

16. What is your favorite season?
I like the variety of seasons but if you're going to make me pick I'll have to go with the sweet relief of layers in Fall.

17. Cherries or Blueberries?
I picked on the previous question, spare me the choice here? Let's go with both.

18. Who is the most likely to respond?
I haven't the slightest.

19. Who is least likely to respond?
Someone who doesn't read this.

20. Living arrangements?
Happiness. I have three roommates in a respectively spacious apartment in Manhattan but to say this is my only home would be cutting myself short. Something Corporate put it well when he said, "If I kept tattoos for every home I've loved I would paint my body until all my skin was gone." I don't get tattoos though.

21. When was the last time you laughed?
Just a moment ago. Those puns will keep you revved up but if we're talking belly laughs, I might have to rewind back to when I was singing "Pool Party" on the phone earlier today.

22. What is on the floor of your closet?
A tupperware container of athletic sweatshirts and sweatpants.

23. What did you do last night

Ate Mexican food over a discussion of NYC Pride, stopped for a suicide Slurpee (the Tribeca Seven 11 has the best flavors I've ever seen), went over to a friend's, and fell into a deep, satisfying sleep.

24. What are you most afraid of?
I'm terrified of the prospect of losing my ability to take care of myself. Losing my ability to think is also one of the most unsettling thoughts I fear.

25. Plain, cheese, or spicy hamburgers?
Spicy hamburgers with pepper jack cheese.

26. What is your favorite dog breed?
The cat. As an aside, if you see someone walking their dog, saying something to the effect of, "Ohhh how cute!" (Pause) "And your dog's cute too," is apparently quite a successful line.

27. What is your favorite day of the week?
This depends on a multitude of factors.

28. How many states have you lived in?
New York, Massachusetts, California, Arizona, Washington (and you might count the UK). In other words, 5.

29. Diamonds or pearls?
Diamonds and 32 necklaces.

30. What is your favorite flower?
The Zantedeschia aethiopica and Zantedeschia elliottiana, otherwise known as the white and yellow calla lily's respectively.

31. What is your favorite smell?
What a beautiful question, and one that's nearly impossible to answer. To name a select few, I love the smell of asphalt when it first starts to rain, cookies in the oven, tennis balls, new shoes, electronics fresh out of the package, clean laundry, fresh citrus like perfumes, books that have been cared for, and anything that's reminiscent of the people that I've loved.

32. Your favorite sound?
Again, this is nearly impossible to answer because we're inundated with gifts in this regard. My favorite sound in New York City might be the changing of street lights, something that can only be heard when you find yourself somewhat isolated in one of the world's largest cities. I also adore the beating of warm melodies, heartfelt laughter, birds chirping, and the way the word "peripatetic" rolls of the tongue when it's used casually in conversation.

Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed reading. Since you made it all the way to question 32, I'll reward you with a nice little music recommendation. Check out Sissy Wish, a Norwegian singer-songwriter with a penchant for sounding like a high pitched version of the old fashioned Chordettes meets the modernity of Shiny Toy Guns.


Feel free to stream her album here.

0 comments: